guyana

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Emancipation Day

August 1st was Emancipation Day. It's the day Guyanese celebrate the abolition of slavery. Many people wear traditional African attire and attend an exhibit at the National Park.
I went with Pam (a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer) to the exhibit around 1PM. I'm glad we got there early before the crowds came. I ate a traditional African dish called kanki. It's a sweet thing that's made out of either plantain or pumpkin. They wrap the concoction in a banana leaf and boil it. I also bought some jewelry including a leather band and earrings made out of coconut shells. I'm obessed with coconuts. They're such a cool food. I mean when they're green you drink the water and you can decorate the shell (they call it a calabash). Then when the coconut matures the water turns into a hard jelly--you know the white stuff that American associate as coconut. Anyway, so I'm in love with the coconut which also means I'm in love with anything made out of coconut.

Later we met up with some other volunteers and continued to wander around the exhibit. Then we sat in the stadium area where there was dancing and singing on the stage. It's a great cultural holiday. I really enjoyed myself.

Me in my African (or more specifically, Nigerian) wear at one of the exhibits

Eavette and Me at the Emancipation Day exhibit

A steel band

African art

An African exhibit.

3 Comments:

At 9:44 AM, Blogger Leibeans said...

That is super cool! I love your Nigerian outfit, and that you are obsessed with coconuts.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Okie Expat said...

Very cool photos, Adannaa! And I also think its neat that Guyana celebrates its Emancipation Day on the same day as Trinidad and Tobago and many other countries in the Caribbean...

Hope you're doing well!

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger ABIOYE said...

Coconut shell is not calabash. The calabash is made from a dried gourd.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home