guyana

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Leguan Wedding

I went to Leguan to visit Liz again this month (March), but this time for a Hindu wedding. Pam and Tessa also came.

We got there Saturday where they were having a jhandi. We went late, but we caught the end when the mother and father of the bride were making sacrafices to the gods.
Afterwards we ate seven curry in a big leaf. The seven curries include (starting from the left bottom corner): catahar, pumpkin, mango achar, boulange and eddoe, channa and potato, bagi, and dahl (which is actually in the middle and you can't see it very well).
The way they make this stuff is so cool. The use these giant pots and stirers that look like paddles.
That night we went back for a party. At any Guyanese function the music is playing so loud that your ears and head nearly explode. I guess it's a tactic they use to force you to dance. Well it worked. Although it sent Pam and Tessa back to the house, Liz and I stayed and danced to Soca and Chutney music.
The next day was the wedding. It's very elaborate and we didn't quite understand most of the stuff going on. Luckily a cousin of the bride knew a little and helped with explanations. Pictured below is the "thing" in which the bride and groom got married. Later the groom and his male family tore it down :(
We returned again late that night for some more dancing and music. There were these middle aged women that kept forcing us to dance. One even grabbed my hips so she could move them "correctly" to the music. I would show you more pictures, but this blog thing only lets you put up five. What's up with that!?!

3 Comments:

At 9:56 AM, Blogger Leibeans said...

Beautiful pictures, I love seeing them! Also that curry looks really really delicious,

MUAHHHHH

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger xpersaudx said...

I am a 13 year old male liveing in doornhaag a village in leguan I went to several weddings it real fun I know liz and tessa they r my friends I will go to one of these wedding soom I will try and write a blog about it

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

hey omg.i have not went to guyana for a long while but cing that seven curry gosh my mouth water.meh miss meh leguan and guyana wedding .hey i no liz.too she was in my class if u are talking about lis from uniform .then i no her .if not sorry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home