guyana

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

A good time

Friday, May 26 was Guyana’s Independence Day. To celebrate Stacy, Meshana, Tandika, and I went out. Stacy and Meshana work at the Health Center while Tandika is a family friend of my host family. We went to Caribbean Temptations. We got their pretty early, so we sat outside gaffing and having some drinks. Later we went inside where there’s a stage. We got our groove on, and I got a chance to practice the Wacky Dip and the Chaka Chaka. (You know dances like the C-walk or the waltz.) Around 9pm we decided to leave. We make a quick pit stop at this club called Blue Moon then we headed to Nancy’s bar in Parika. Every Friday is Karaoke night. I even sang “Unbreak My Heart” by Toni Braxton and “Hey Mr. DJ” by Rihanna. It was a good time.
Tandika and me
Meshana and Stacy
Me and Stacy singing

Saturday I went to a wedding. To my surprise and enjoyment I became very involved in the whole process. Somehow Joyce nominated me to be the stand-in mother, witness, maid of honor, and photographer all in one. I helped Angie, the bride, put on her wedding dress, signed her marriage certificate, and gave a little speech on her behalf. All the while I was capturing the moments with my camera. The wedding took place at her home, and a pastor came to conduct the ceremony. It was small and intimate. But afterwards, the bride and groom took a “drive out.” They along with some family and me piled into two cars and drove around town. The drivers honked their horns the entire time and all the by standers wandered out to get a glimpse at the newly weds and offer congratulations. It, too, was a good time.

2 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, Blogger Leibeans said...

OMG who's that perdy lady? I love your braids and I'm glad you are enjoying you time there. I'm hoping to get a real letter sent out to you soon, as soon as I whip my life back into shape.

 
At 6:14 AM, Blogger AULO said...

No, I hardly knew her. It was a Christian wedding. They decorated the front porch of the house, and had the ceremony there. I only put a couple of the pictures on a CD, but I'll email them to you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home